Content

The Death Road in Bolivia







The North Yungas Road, also known as The Death Road, is a 61 to 69 km road leading from La Paz to Coroico (Bolivia's capital, to the Amazon region) in the Yungas region of Bolivia. It is legendary for its extreme danger: in 1995 the Inter- American Development Bank christened it as the "world's most dangerous road. " One estimate is that 200-300 travelers were killed yearly along the road. The road includes crosses marking many of the spots where such vehicles have fallen.

At the end of 2006, after 20 years of construction, a new road (a by-pass) from La Paz to Coroico was opened to public. This new route features modern construction (bridges, drainage, etc.), multiple lanes, pavement, guardrails and many other elements that make it considerably safer than the original route. As a result, the original North Yungas Road is currently much less used by traffic, although an increasing number of adventure travellers bike it for the thrills.

Taken from: I Can't Believe It





Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About


I found many interesting and useful pictures (for educational purposes) while surfing the net. However, it is quite difficult for me to find them back when I store them in my hard disk due to those unsorted and scattered files. That is why I put them here so that I can label them up and I think it's easier for me to retrieve the photos whenever I need 'em.

I publish this gallery 'for a public view' so that everybody can get benefits from it too!

*I do not own any of these photos (unless stated). Should there be any copyright infringement regarding the photos posted, please CONTACT ME.